Friday, November 28, 2003

I was there.


A wonderful sunny day in Baghdad, I couldn't sleep last night, I was anxious.
The day is my day.
I've stayed awake late watching the news channels broadcasting the news about president bush's visit to Baghdad.
I tried to figure out the meanings behind this visit.
I shared the tears with him, tears of joy, anxiety, and care for the future of his country men.
I was also afraid for the future of my people and I felt some kind of unity of feelings with all the good on earth.
I expressed that today as I marched with my brothers in the demo. That fights the terrorism and defends freedom and democracy.

My friends told me that they will come with me, I waited but no one showed up but that didn't break my determination to go,
as it means a lot to me.
I arrived at al-Tahrir square from where the demo. should start, and I was surprised to find that the numbers of police men and journalists were more than the demonstrators themselves.
We needed some men to hold the sign boards (these were also more than us).
I was a little bit disappointed, because I was dreaming of a huge demo. but when I took a minute to think about what this demo. represents, I restored some of the hope to my heart.

There were 3 cars carrying symbolic coffins for the victims of terrorism.
There were people from some Iraqi ethnic minorities and others who represented no particular party or group.
We decided -regardless of the small number- to march to al-Firdows square where the statue of the tyrant was knocked down on the 9th. of April.
The people who were standing or passing by through the ever crowded (Saadoon street) were watching carelessly and reading our signs.
After a while some men joined us, ordinary simple people with their simple clothes telling their suffering.
Fear started to vanish away from their hearts and people continued to join us and the small crowd grew bigger.

We became several thousands, and I saw the future in their eyes, I didn't feel they were strangers; we were closer to each other than ever, carrying the same feelings and ambitions.
I found myself walking amongst a group of the demonstrators carrying the flag of the Turkman's front, and I tried to say the same words they were saying, although I don't know their language but I was sure that these words represent my feelings too.
This the first time I march in a demo.
No one forced me, and I remembered the old days when we were obliged- by the tyrant's orders- to march in huge crowds in faked demos. crying out with his name and our love for our beloved leader.
His security men used to be surrounding us, watching the expression on our faces and how damn unlucky a man is if they notice that he was not doing the desired effort (shouting loudly).
We used to consider the police men as our enemies and there was even a proverb that says:" a police man will never see heaven"
Today, we consider them our defenders and our brothers.
they're sacrificing their lives tacking the front position to face the terrorists, they will definitely get rid of the bad reputation they earned in the past and they will learn to treat us respectfully, we're their brothers and our enemy doesn't distinguish between a civilian and a police man.

I've been there, and I came back stronger with a deeper belief that there are others who care for us, and next time, the participation will be wider.
Our victory in this challenge is a victory for all the honest, good and free people on earth.

1 comment:

Order Pills Antibacterial said...

Keep up the good work.