Saturday, February 05, 2005

Big Pharaoh expresses his concerns about the regional effects of the "Iraqi Tsunami" (I believe he used this term to emphasize the magnitude of the event, and not considering the Iraqi elections a catastrophe, right Pharaoh?) He would rather have it slow down for a while before hitting the 'Egyptian political shores'.

He explains why he thinks so:

The best organized and the most well financed opposition entity is the Muslim Brotherhood. Those call for democracy yet they don't practice it within their own organization. Besides I'd rather have a million years of Mubarak than one day of the MB. On the other hand, the other small opposition parties do not have enough influence over the public and they are headed by old political figures that stay at the helm of their organizations until the day their spirits leave their bodies.

Egyptian liberals and democrats are very weak. I simply cannot hear their voices and I am not sure of how well they will do if Iraq's tsunami hit Egypt. I have no problem with Islamists or Nasserites (remnants of the Nasser era) joining the political process, however, I am afraid that if they reached power they would remain in power. I just hope the Iraq tsunami will wait until we have decent alternatives.


Read the whole thing.

No comments: